Looksmart Home Inspections | Professional Home inspection services for New Jersy | License Number : 24GI00058700

Carbon monoxide

By : John Martino | In : Home Inspections

To avoid poisoning by carbon monoxide make sure that all the fuel burning equipment in the home has sufficient venting. All of these appliances should be vented to the exterior of the home. Have your boiler or furnace cleaned and serviced every year to keep them in good working order. Do not operate a gas or charcoal grill in an enclosed area. Emergency generators should not be operated inside any building.

Install carbon monoxide detectors on each floor of your home. At a minimum install them in the main bedroom hallway of the home. You want to hear them if you are sleeping.

Carbon monoxide poisoning often mimics the common flu. Headaches are a very common complaint as well as difficulty breathing. In higher exposures to the poison gas nausea and dizziness occur. When carbon monoxide levels increase impaired judgment and confusion are common. High levels of the poison gas can cause death.

John Martino (64 Posts)

LookSmart Home Inspections, LLC is owned and operated by John Martino. He has successfully performed over 3000 inspections for clients throughout northern and central NJ and has an exemplary track record of customer satisfaction. Mr. Martino completed a 300-hour approved NJ Home Inspector training program and was mentored by one of the most respected names in NJ home inspections. He continues to attend over 30 hours of continuing education classes each year.


Write a comment

Buying a house is one of life’s biggest decisions. Before you close, you’ll want a professional inspection of the house to ascertain its true condition. John Martino is a formally trained New Jersey home inspector and member of the American Society of Home Inspectors...ReadMore